Worm Watch Lab Talk

Error or Normal?

• Curious_Chloride by Curious_Chloride

Hi, I've noticed sets where I count zero eggs while another "player" watching the same video counts multiple eggs. How can this be? I know I'm not missing anything. Can the videos be from different time points?

Posted

• aexbrown by aexbrown scientist

The most likely thing is just that it's a mistake. It could be either an accidental click or people counting eggs that they see in the background, not eggs laid by the worm.

For others reading, please only make eggs that the worm lays during the video, not any that are already present. Also, if you click accidentally, you can remove the assignment by clicking the little 'x' next to the timestamp that appears when you click.

Posted

Unfortunately, there were no other eggs in the frame that could have been accidentally counted.

Posted

• m4ndara by m4ndara

Perhaps you can leave a comment the next time you see such a video, so other "players" can have a look too and give you a feedback whether they can see any egg laying events or not or why some "players" think they saw an egg laying event.
    Oh, Iยดve just seen that there are some changes. Last time I classified some worms, you didn't know if other players marked any eggs except they left a comment. I already wondered how you knew how many eggs have been marked by others. Thought you always read the comments ,-)
    I just watched a video where another player marked an eggs but there was none.

Posted

• m4ndara by m4ndara

It's me again ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I did some classifying now and noticed that whenever another player watched the video before, they marked at least one egg more than I've marked. First I thought it was a software bug that always added one marking to my own, but in one video there was definitely no egg, but anonymous marked 10! But perhaps it would be good to have look at the new part of the software nevertheless.

Posted

Hey! Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you responded because I'm noticing the same pattern by the same person (Anonymous). He/she marks at least one egg in every video when the majority of them have none. Also, one time this person marked 521 eggs!!! It seems clear to me that this person is cheating but I'm not sure if there's a way to report them. I took screen captures of this and another incident but there doesn't seem to be a way to attach photos either. Quite frustrating!

Posted

• m4ndara by m4ndara

Hey Curious Chloride! I'm not sure if Anonymous is one person. I think it might stand for all the "players" who are not logged in. And I don't think they are cheating, I really think it's a software problem. I watched some more videos and whenever another person has seen the video before, they always counted more eggs than me.
    Next time you see such an incident, you can click on the Discuss Button that appears after the video has finished and leave a comment saying how many eggs you marked and how many the other player marked. Your comment and the video will then appear on the recent page, so I (and others, including the scientists ๐Ÿ˜‰) can re-watch the video.

Posted

I didn't even realize you could participate without being logged in. I'm surprised by how many people haven't read or don't understand the rules and count the number of eggs that are present when the video starts. In any case, I'll try the Discuss button as you suggested. Thanks for the feedback ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted