Worm Watch Lab Talk

worms observed counter

• michaelf500 by michaelf500

The counter seems to miss off the first one done - if I look at my profile, and it says '200 worms observed' go back to classifying, and watch 3 videos, then go back to profile, it only shows 202. Not the biggest deal, but it would be nice to have an accurate count.

Posted

• randi by randi

I have not noticed any problems.

Did you click the "Next worm" button on the third worm before checking your profile?

As far as I can tell, nothing is registered until you click the "Next worm" button.

Posted

Clicking 'new worm' does solve the problem. But surely that shouldn't be necessary - if I've watched the video, it should be counted. Or maybe the button should be renamed 'Finish this worm' or something.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Not a bad idea, but yes, I think you do need to move on to the next classification to have the one you've just done be registered!

Posted

• randi by randi

I don't want my videos to be counted until I say that I am done. Sometimes I go back to make additions or corrections.

Posted

I'm using firefox on Ubuntu, and after the video has got to the end, I can't add anything, so I assumed that the video was counted as done.
    But in any case, unless you know that you have to click the 'next worm' button to register the video you've just watched, I can't see why you would click it after you've had enough worms. So I'm guessing that a lot of people's final worms from each session have not been recorded.
    The notes from nature project has a 'finish this record' button, which finalises the record, and then gives you a new one, which makes much more sense to me.

Posted

• 2ndgm by 2ndgm in response to michaelf500's comment.

michael have you read the two tips in the blog? they don't address the counting of videos on the profile page but they are very helpful about repeating a video to check the number of worms or the timing of egg laying.

Posted

Thanks, I did read the tips, but like I say, on my browser at least, once I have watched the video to the end and it says 'you have recorded X eggs' then scrolling through the video and pressing z does not add further eggs,

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to michaelf500's comment.

Michael, once you finish watching the first time, and you press go back, does pressing Z add timecodes to the right? You say it "does not add further eggs," but are you saying that it just doesn't changed the value X in "you have recorded X" eggs?

What happens for me is that if I watch the video to the end a second time, marking eggs the second time, the number X changes once the video has finished being watched the second time. The number X doesn't change instantly when you mark an egg; you have to finish watching the video. The timecodes, however, appear instantly.

I can check to see if the classifications are still counted if you don't finish watching the video until that X value changes... ? But let me know if what I said helps it for you.

Posted

OK, so I tried this and:

after I've watched the video, if I JUST use the scroll bar to move about the video, then pressing 'z' does absolutely nothing. This is what I was previously talking about.

However, if I scroll back, and then click on the video to start it playing, then pressing 'z' does add a timecode for an egg.

So I am now clearer as to what is happening, thanks.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Ah, yes, you do have to hit "play" again. Just how it's built.

Thanks for letting me now; glad it's sorted!! 😃

Posted

• HunterC by HunterC

The worm counter is no longer working. I have been using this site for weeks and have classified over hundreds of worms, and this problem just started occurring a few days ago. Please get the tech team on it.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Do you mean the 'Worms Observed' counter on your profile page? Try refreshing the page (press f5) when you're on your profile, does it go up like you expect it to do?

@DZM I'm used to having to refresh to get new numbers on my profile on other projects, but it sounds like it was auto-updating here until the fix to get the 'recent' and 'favorites' buttons working?

Posted

• 2ndgm by 2ndgm

I think I finally see what Michaelf500 is saying about the counter on the profile page. My counter is adding videos, not individually as I do them, but in batches. And the batch is not added after I've done say five videos and gone to the profile page, but after I've gone to something like 'talk' and and then back to classifying and then to the profile or when I sign out and sign back in. I don't really care but the profile does not always show a current count.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hm. It sounds like the fix that I had a dev put in place to get the buttons working messed up the auto-updating of the counter...

Is this a big deal? It updates eventually, right; it just takes a little bit longer than it used to?

Not that I don't want to fix things where possible, but if this isn't affecting stuff overall, it might not really need fixing? (As @Quia knows, developer time for fixing things is... shall we say, rationed? 😃 )

Posted

• 2ndgm by 2ndgm

It makes no difference to me

Posted

• HunterC by HunterC

When I'm on the Profile page, pressing F5 does seem to remedy the problem with the counter.

Posted