Worm Watch Lab Talk

#coiled

• shocko61 by shocko61

Can one worm belong to 2 different categories ie Egg Laying Defective , etc,etc.? I have seen about 10 , at different times that have a classification of being , for instance , Egg Laying Defective and coiling more than normal or shaking more than normal . Ian

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

This is pretty much the focus of the whole project, observing the effect of a gene mutation on the egg laying rate. It's very possible to a mutation to have an effect on more than one thing, egg laying and coiling/twitching, energy levels, etc.

Posted

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

On this same note, I see worms 'wipe' themselves when they turn around. i.e. AWS0001c60
    Now, are they grooming themselves, defective or just turning around?

Also, this worm has its tail showing also!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Turning around! It's called an omega turn, due to the resemblance to the symbol. They do it when they want to turn around rapidly, instead of reversing course and turning slowly that way. U-turn instead of a 3 point turn. 😉

Nice catch on the tail! Looks like she's outside the food area, so there's less background for it to get lost in. It blends into the tracks they leave on the food so easily.

Posted