Worm Watch Lab Talk

#aws0000aek

• shocko61 by shocko61

I marked 2 eggs at 19.00 approximately , and the other player marked 2 eggs at about 25.00 after the worm left the eggs at the tail end of the worm , with the result that I do not get any points for marking correctly . this also happened similarly with another worm but I could not find where the player marked the time for 1 egg , again no points I should have brought that instance to here for you to see . Yes it is nit picking . but I thought you should know it is happening . Cheers , Ian

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Yes, this happens when someone has correctly identified that there are new eggs, but marked the wrong time. The only impact this has is on your points for that video, the actual science data is not effected.

I think the points and showing previous markings is an experiment for the Zooniverse, seeing if people like the 'game' aspect of trying to match people.

Personally I've made it into my own little game, completely ignoring the scores, where I guess if there will actually be an egg laying when someone else has marked one. Most times if there are eggs already visible there isn't, but sometimes I get delightfully surprised! Even rarer than egg laying is when I find an egg laid in a video that has previously been seen, but not marked! I haven't kept exact track of these, but they seem to come at roughly a 1 in 250 video rate.

Posted