Worm Watch Lab Talk

Introduce yourselves

• arfon by arfon

Hello, my name is Arfon and I work with the Zooniverse team here in Chicago. We've been really looking forward to this project going live - it's one of my favourite so far!

Posted

• aexbrown by aexbrown scientist

I'm André, one of the scientists behind the project. I work at the Medical Research Council in the UK. Thanks everyone for taking part!

Posted

• kellinora by kellinora admin

Hi, I'm Kelly an educator on the Zooniverse team in Chicago at the Adler Planetarium. I'm looking forward to participating in this project and learning more about genetic research!

Posted

• RoyalOcean by RoyalOcean

Hi, I'm Furat. I'm 19 years old and from London, UK. I'm hoping to attend university next year. I'll be on here as much as I can to contribute to your research.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05

I'm Julianne (aka Capella) - thought I would take a break from Spacewarps and make friends with the worms.

Very Addictive 😄

Posted

• chaoticidealism by chaoticidealism

Lisa, 30 years old, autistic, nerdy, generally fascinated with science. I always loved these little guys; it's just so cool how a multicellular organism can have so few cells and still work just fine! And of course it's got some historical importance what with getting its genome sequenced. I've done some undergrad research in biology, mostly helping some of the profs with their data (you wouldn't believe how much data you can get from telemetry on a single mouse) but nothing professional. I'm still in school, but I'm gonna be done soon and then on to grad school. Psychology, actually. Very fascinated with neurology, learning, assistive technology--human factors. I've been on Zooniverse for a while now. It's a good way to relax.

Posted

• mothnflame by mothnflame

Hi, I'm Carol. I work in clinical research, but miss the days I used to work in the lab. This lets me play without changing jobs! I think this worm one is my favorite so far, but the African savannah photos were pretty awesome too!

Posted

• Matty-Gee by Matty-Gee

I'm Matt and a sixteen year old in rural Ontario. Sure beats anything else I have to do, since I love science. I like to give all the Zooniverse projects a whirl. I think this one is growing on me.

Posted

• swan1829 by swan1829

G'day, I'm Lynda from Perth Western Australia. A 60 year old who is facinated with the idea of crowdsourcing scientific research. Only recently discovered Zooniverse and still not sure which area is my favorite. Worms are winning by a head..or is it a tail???

Posted

• jamescfield by jamescfield

Hi. I'm James C. Field and I doubt the wisdom or intent of including experimental parameters ("this lot of worms are xxx") being presented to experimental subjects (me included).
    The inaccuracy of the egg-versus-non-egg responses recorded by the program suggest that you are playing with the SS's to provoke a variety of responses.

Feel free to delete my reply if you feel it may effect the accuracy of your "findings".

I did participate in a follow-up to the Milgram study before I was aware of its existence.

Jim - jamescfield@cooptel.net

Posted

• jamescfield by jamescfield

Also: the CG is pretty obvious.If only photomichrography could be that good.

Jim

Posted

• Tadas_MRC by Tadas_MRC

Hi all, I am Tadas and I am one of the scientists behind the project. I work at the Medical Research Council in the UK with André and I look forward to engaging with everyone on this project. Thank you all for taking part!

Posted

• aexbrown by aexbrown scientist in response to jamescfield's comment.

Hi Jim, I assure you we're not studying the users' responses per se. We really are interested in when the worms lay eggs.

Posted

• aexbrown by aexbrown scientist in response to jamescfield's comment.

I'm also glad that you like the quality of the images 😃 The only "CG" is the outline/midline and the two dots to indicate the head and the vulva.

Posted