Worm Watch Lab Talk

my new egg statistics

• 2ndgm by 2ndgm

Of the videos I've watched so far, only 8.335% have had one or more new eggs laid by my count. The largest number of new eggs was nine, laid not in a clutch but spaced out one and two at a time over the course of 22 seconds. Many videos have had pre-existing eggs or course; the most in one frame was 24 .

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Wow! I haven't been keeping track of well enough to say what percent of videos have had eggs laid in them, but the most eggs I've seen laid at once was four, two doubles right after each other.

Posted

• 2ndgm by 2ndgm

Well, I was wrong about the 8.335%. I thought the numbered white blocks on the profile page were the videos in which I had marked eggs laid.
    But after a closer look it is not - and it is not the number of egg timings. So only the computer knows my statistics. DZM will have to explain what the numbered white blocks are.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

... Well, theoretically, those blocks should take you through the pages of your recents/favorites.

But for some reason they're not working. Neither are the recents/favorites buttons.

Let me try to get that fixed...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Fixed it. Now the blocks should work to load more pages of recent images!

(I realized why you thought it meant 8.33% have eggs--totally understandable given the broken buttons on our end. Notice that there are 12 images per page... and each button denotes a page... 1/12 = 8.33%!) 😃

Posted

• 2ndgm by 2ndgm

I am embarrassed! I should know better than to assume anything. As penance, and to satisfy my own need to know, I did a hand tally of a series of 300 videos. Probably not enough to be a valid sample but all I have the patience for. Anyway, only 11 of the 300 showed new eggs being laid - 3.66%. That seems kind of low. Two had what might have been impacted eggs which I did not count. There were a total of 23 new eggs laid in the 11 videos by my count.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I've just started watching the little worms, I've seen somewhere around 5-8 egg laying videos in 271 videos, can't quite recall the exact number. Should have been saving them to favorites, but I didn't realize they were going to be so rare! So something like 1.8-3.0% percent for me.

Darren you are awesome! I didn't even realize they weren't working. Here's the little wormy laying 4 eggs, now that favorites are working. http://talk.wormwatchlab.org/#/subjects/AWS0000n3i

Posted

• 2ndgm by 2ndgm

It looks like we are in the same ball park. I hope that is a good thing.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks for the great share, @Quia !! That's definitely a #dailyzoo candidate.

Both of your numbers bear up with what the science team has always said: we only expect one egg-laying event in every 30-50 videos.

But don't forget that, with most browsers, you can drag the scroll bar across to speed-scan for eggs, and thus classify much more quickly! 😃 Hope everyone knows about that!

Also, @2ndgm , certainly don't be embarrassed! You found a bug that needed fixing. I'm in your debt! 😃

Posted