Worm Watch Lab Talk

Red spot and vulva

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

This worm just shot out two eggs on the other side of the red spot. Now I am told the software sometimes has trouble marking the vulva, as observed by the red dot going from one side to the other in the same clip, but which side is the vulva in relation to the head?
    I also understand that the worm is flat, so can the vulva be on either side? That is, is there no 'top side' to a worm, that it has no 'up'?
    Stay cool!

Posted

• aexbrown by aexbrown scientist

The vulval side is actually labelled determined by eye on a better microscope before the worm is tracked. The reason the red dot is on the wrong side in this case is because the head (green dot, which is determined automatically) is incorrectly labelled in this clip. The worms have a dorsal and ventral (vulval) side and a left and right. When they're crawling they're actually lying on either their left or right side and bend dorsoventrally. This is different from snakes snakes which lie on their ventral side and bend left/right.

Posted

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

Thanks Mr Brown, I don't have 'scientist' after my name, just a kid from the Prairies, but I think I got ya! 😉 Not noticing the head/tail marked incorrectly is embarrassing too... so many things to look for!
    So you are saying that the vulva could be on either side in relation to the head, I should trust the dot? Snakes I understand, they have beady eyes "on top"!

Stay cool

Posted